For many people, having a custom home is the culmination of lifelong dream. Here at LaBram Homes, we want to share with you some insight into the process of designing and building a custom home with the right builder or architect.
Custom Homes and Spec Homes
As you do your research and familiarize yourself with your options for a new home, you may come across the term “spec home.” This is a type of home that a home builder manufactures for a quick sale and easy profit. To make the sale, the builder designs these homes to be as appealing as possible to the majority of potential home owners. You may have noticed that many homes in a neighborhood look like they were built from the same template. That may be because the same builder created them as spec homes. Two key features of the spec home:
- They generally cost less than a custom home
- The floor plan is fixed and you have little-to-no room for customization
In contrast, the custom home puts your dream within reach without compromises. The only limits are your budget and imagination – and the quality of the professional you partner with. Because of that freedom, a lot of elements have to come together for your ideal home to take shape. They include:
- The location
- The cost to meet your vision
- The right design to meet your vision
- Finding the right design-builder
A custom home designed to your tastes may cost more, but it will also reflect who you are and what you expect out of your home for many years to come.
The Custom-Home Design Process
The first part of designing a custom home includes two steps:
- The discovery meeting. This is the initial meeting with your builder to determine your lot characteristics, budget, and vision for your new home.
- The design. This is where your vision is translated by the designer onto paper. During this stage, we’ll work closely with you to ensure that you are as active as you want to be in the design of your home.
At LaBram, we will draft floor plans and elevations of your home that meet your specifications. We’ll also show you how we can set up your home based on your lot survey. Then we can move on to the more detailed construction documents, where we invite you to be an active participant. In all, expect this design stage to last three to six months. By taking our time, we are able to ensure you get the exact home you want.
Partner with LaBram Homes On Your Custom Home
LaBram Homes has been building custom homes since 1986 and we are ready to help create your dream home. We are eager to share with you our entire design-build and construction process, which we have crafted into a step-by-step process that is clear and easy to understand. Contact LaBram Homes to schedule a discovery meeting with our team of experts.