Patios, lanais, pools: They’re all cherished parts of the Florida lifestyle. They can also be expressions of each homeowner’s stylistic preferences and need for comfort.
If you are currently building a home or are planning to build one, let’s consider what it would take to turn the everyday back yard into an oasis of fun and relaxation.
What are the Benefits of Having an Outdoor Living Space?
Here in Florida, our homes’ outdoor spaces are invaluable places of escape. With so many of us plugged in constantly, it’s nice to know there’s a place just a few feet away that invites us to relax and disconnect: our own back yards.
Sometimes the heat can convince us to stay indoors all day. When we do this for too long, we miss out on the benefits of the world just past our patio doors. With this in mind, here are just a few reasons to design a great outdoor living space:
- Shape it to fit your style. Just as your home and its interior spaces reflect who are and what you enjoy, so does your outdoor area. In the next section of this article, we’ll offer some ideas for making this space one you and your family will look forward to enjoying.
- Spend healthy time outside. Being indoors for too long is associated with lower levels of physical and mental health. However, spending time in nature lowers your stress, boosts your mood, and improves your overall health. You can be active through swimming and playing games, or you can relax with a good book (or your favorite app). It’s where you’ll find some much-needed alone time or connect with family in a healthy environment.
- Entertain family and friends. A welcoming, versatile outdoor space is one you’ll want to share with others. Being able to enjoy the company of those you love in a comfortable environment is one of life’s great pleasures.
Let’s take a look at some of the features that help create the kind of backyard areas you’ll be proud to show off to guests and neighbors.
Essentials to Building Outdoor Entertainment
In our article “Benefits to Including Outdoor Spaces in Your Home Design,” we touched on ways to expand your living space and your ability to enjoy it.
Some of the main elements to focus on include your patio and/or lanai, the spaces that you directly step into as you head outside. There’s a lot you can do with these and the surrounding areas, so let’s take a look at a handful of options.
- Pool. Swimming pools are a mainstay of Florida homes. They’re also a must for a custom home. Pools are attractive because they offer a place to cool off during hot weather, exercise for one’s health and strength, and enjoy a relaxing wade.
- Fire pit. A fire pit can be placed prominently as a central gathering spot for enjoying a glass of wine, or it can be set apart so that it functions as a retreat. Either way, the fire pit makes a statement that says this is where we can relax and talk.
- Water feature. Your pool isn’t the only place that makes the appealing use of water. Fountains, small ponds, and birdbaths are soothing and offer a classy touch that will make your manicured backyard stand out.
- Outdoor kitchen. Why limit yourself to grills and barbecues? The outdoor kitchen expands the possibilities of daily cooking, while also creating a new focal point as you entertain.
- Accordion-style doors. These are also known as bifold doors, and they’re valuable because of the stylishness and functionality they add to the transition between the indoors and outdoors. Their ability to fold allows them to create a larger opening than sliding glass doors. This effectively creates a dramatic invitation to the space you’ve built outside.
At LaBram Homes, we will create designs that ensure features like bifold doors and outdoor kitchens will work within the overall layout and aesthetic of your home.
Partner with LaBram Homes On Your Custom Outdoor Area
The features we’ve shared are customizable and can be incorporated into your custom home floor plan.
We work with many companies that each focus on custom pool design, fire pits, fountains, and outdoor kitchens. No matter what you want to create, we have the experts to lead the way.
Work with LaBram Homes to guide the creation of your new home – both inside and out. We have the experience to create the kind of spaces and experience you want.
You deserve to see proof of performance, so take a look at our portfolio of custom homes. We can also help shape your designs if you’re stuck for ideas or still aren’t sure what’s possible. Contact LaBram Homes today and let’s explore the possibilities together.